Friday 4 July 2008

Charles Lamb, A Dissertation Upon Roast Pig

Regarding yesterday's post which started with a story I couldn't remember, I was surely right--my memory was feeble indeed. Unless there is a similar story somewhere else, the one to which I was alluding is called A Dissertation Upon Roast Pig by Charles Lamb (1775-1834), an English essayist.

In the story, it is the pig owner's house (not a nearby forest) that burns down, killing and roasting a new litter of piglets. This was the origins of not only roast pork, but of any cooked meat. Cooking meat, rather than eating it raw, caused a great scandal but eventually became the norm. Regrettably, it was assumed for a long time that the only way to accomplish the objective of roasting a pig was to burn down one's house with the porker in it.

So the details of my metaphor were wrong, although the essence is the same. So I won't re-write the post, although I will use the story in a more correct form in the future.

To read the essay, please see http://www.angelfire.com/nv/mf/elia1/pig.htm. And thanks to Steve for sending the link.

2 comments:

Management Dissertation said...

Whenever i see the post like your's i feel that there are still helpful people who share information for the help of others, it must be helpful for other's. thanx and good job.

Linen shirts for men said...

Reading your coverage of this profound meaning of life, so that the heart becomes complicated I suddenly see the light. Your article implies a lot of confusion for many people meaningful and helpful information. Thank you for sharing!